Thursday, December 15, 2011

#31DDD - Three Posts in One

I'm a few days behind...so to catch up I have all three in one.


First, "your thoughts on Beyonce":
Well, I've never heard a song by her I don't like.  She isn't satisfied to just create the same album over and over again (thank god), and she keeps her personal life and her stage life separate...for that alone she gets my respect.  

Next, "one of the recipes you're willing to share."  This is harder, because as a good Southern Lady, my recipes should either pass on to my closest female relative (preferably a daughter who has proven herself a proficient cook) or with me to my grave...

Seeing as I have no plans to have children, I guess the internet will have to do.

Crack Soup (this soup is not healthy, it will take one year off your life for every bowl you eat...but really, what were you going to do with that year anyway)

1 lb. thick cut bacon
1 pt heavy cream
6 cups chicken stock
5lbs russet potatoes (cubed w/skin on)
2 bunches scallions, chopped (optional)
2lbs cheddar cheese (or whatever blend of cheeses you like, as long as its 2lbs.) shredded
1/4 cup flour
Salt
Pepper
Olive Oil
1/4 tsp nutmeg

To start:
Fry up entire rasher of bacon, set aside and chop into pieces when cooled.
Coat potatoes lightly in olive oil, salt and pepper and roast at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.  Should be crispy, browned and have some give when poked with a fork.
In a large soup pot, bring chicken stock to a simmer and then add in heavy cream and nutmeg.  Mix flour in with shredded cheese to coat and as cream and chicken stock mixture bubbles on the edges begin to add to soup pot by the handfuls, whisking slowly.  Keep heat low and do not allow mix to boil, it will thicken and then you can add in the roasted potatoes, bacon and scallions.
Serve in sourdough breadbowls or if you need to sin even more...make corn pudding and serve over that.  (Again, takes another year, but you don't need it after having this dish)

And finally, "draw your picture on a post - it" and voila! I'm not the most artistic of people...my medium being words, I gave it my best shot.  This is what my friend Serena calls my typical look.  Over the rim of my glasses with an eyebrow raised.  Today this look was directed at many...some co-workers and some customers, not a look of derision, but one of knowing.






No comments:

Post a Comment